Tuesday, December 15, 2009

If you just listen...

Amazing. That's all I can say. This morning I woke up and did my usual. After breakfast, I took my shower and decided that that would be the perfect time to spent talking with God. I've been trying to put a little God and I time into my days and I thought that the shower would be the perfect place. You're alone and you really don't have any distractions. At least, I don't...I could take a shower in my sleep.

So I spent my shower time conversing with the Big Guy and I told Him that I was listening and that I was waiting to hear from Him and I waited.... Then a thought popped into my head: I should go to the church. I've been needing to take my tithing in for some time and I've been telling myself to do it...but like normal, I've put it off. So  I thought it was something that just crept in and was interrupting my listening time. I pushed it out of my mind and continued with my shower. I finished up and got dress, but the urge to go by the church kept coming up. That's when I figured it was probably God talking to me and I was definitely going to listen. I said out loud...okay, I'm going to the church. I asked Him to make sure that someone was there and to make me brave.

Now that's a weird request when you're on your way to church, right? Well, the thing is I haven't been attending regularly. I would imagine that it's been over 3 months since I last went. I have been active or a regular in a church, since I left Oklahoma. I attended one on and off in Tacoma and I just started going to this church at the beginning of this year. I feel very self-conscious, so I get a lot of anxiety. Why? Mostly because I feel like I'm way behind everyone there. I'm only a born-again Christian of 5 years...which to some would seem like a very long time...but I've been away from "my" church since 2007. So it really isn't that much experience and then not knowing anyone there is also stressful. Since I'm not the type of person to strike up a conversation with a stranger in an unfamiliar place, it takes me awhile to meet people. However, I have been setting aside money every month for tithing and have been meaning to go to a service to give it.

Anyway, I keep telling myself that I need to get back into church and start meeting people and it's one of the things that is one my list of things to do in 2010. It's a stop on my road to rediscovery!

So back to my day...I grabbed the money and walked out with the same feeling that I needed to go to the church. I decided that since the gas station was on the way, I'd fill up my car for tomorrow too. I stopped at the station, filled up, said a silent prayer, and headed the half of block to the church. There were several cars in the parking lot, so I knew that someone had to be there. I made it to the door and there was a sign that said "This door is locked. Please knock." I knocked my police knock...lol...and two people opened it. They were very welcoming and pointed me in the direction of the office.

I was given a tithing envelope and I filled it out, stuffed the cash in, and licked it close. I went to turn it in to the Pastor in the office and she was so friendly. She introduced herself as Katie. She is the pastor of women's ministry. We talked briefly about Rob's job and my attendance, then she said she wanted to give me something...so she went out into the hallway and pulled three services on CDs that she thought were just wonderful and she didn't want me to miss out. She gave them to me. Normally, you have to purchase them. Then she told me to give her a call every know and then, so that I can stay caught up. (With my work schedule, I can't make it to services when I'm on day shift.) She was so open and nice and it really made my day. I actually gave her a hug to show my gratitude. <= Not normal for me!

I am so grateful to have been there today and that I listened to what the Lord wanted me to do...it was good. :o)God is great! He does know what is best for us and what we really need and I really needed that encouragement. I told her that I would be in service on Sunday, so I must be there!

Oh a different note....Rob and I had a very productive conversation about the ex and there was no yelling or fighting or hurt feelings. Let me tell you, that doesn't happen. It was as if we were actually on the same page! I thanked the Lord a million times for that last night. Had He not been at work, I'm sure it would have been a huge failure. So Rob had heard what my friend was saying the other night and while some things had transpired yesterday morning that prompted the conversation, we were able to be open and honest with our thoughts and come up with a good solid plan to make everyone feel better. One win.

No comments:

Post a Comment